ST ROSE DE LIMA
The historic Catholic African-American sanctuary was built by parish member Joe Labat in 1927. Structural repairs included foundation work and restoring the steeple to be level and plumb. Accessible restrooms and a confessional were located in additions to each side, maintaining the historic frontage. Acoustics were a critical component of the renovation to support the award-winning gospel choir, and a glass-enclosed area was designed at the balcony as a children’s area during services.
Energy use post-construction is 31.5% of the pre-construction intensity; the energy savings of 68.5% are primarily due to added insulation in the walls and underfloor. No mechanical equipment was changed in this renovation.
unabridged Architecture, Architect
Sparks Engineering, Historic Structural
Canon Engineering, M/E/P
J.O. Collins, Construction